Formatting SharePoint Data in SQL Reporting Services Report

Depending on the field type, SharePoint may format the data as “#n;Value”.  Not very pretty.  I found this solution somewhere, but don’t remember where.  You can add the below function to your SSRS report by going to Report (when on the Data or Layout tab in Visual Studio/Business Intelligence Development Studio) –> Report Properties –> Code. To use this code in an expression, type: [text]=Code.GetNameFromSP(Fields!MyField.Value)[/text]
Continue Reading →

SQL Reporting Services – Using SharePoint List Data

SQL Reporting Services allows you to leverage SharePoint data via XML query.  The process is fairly simple, although it is hard to find good details on how to do it.  The method below assumes some knowledge with Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 with Business Intelligence (or SQL Server Business Intelligence Development Studio).  You can get this by install the SQL 2005 tools.  The below should also work with the SQL 2008 development tools. To start o
Continue Reading →

Connected Lookups (Dropdowns)

SharePoint does not have a built-in method of creating connected lookup fields (e.g. if I select a specific List Item, select another column only from that List Item).  Connected Lookups provides this ability.  You can have a parent with multiple children, and so far is the only working solution I’ve found that can have multiple children. In this example, the Parent List has three columns:  Title, Child1, Child2. The Child List has four columns:
Continue Reading →

Removing Name ActiveX Control

If you have a public-facing SharePoint site, you may want to remove the Name ActiveX Control from the site.  Users will otherwise get the Internet Explorer gold bar like this: Not very pretty, and most people will not want to mark your site as a Trusted site.  This will only occur on systems with Office 2003 or 2007 installed. To remove the presence control entirely, open: C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\Web Server Extensions\12\TE
Continue Reading →

Outlook Alerts – Unknown Error 0x800401F3

Update: Microsoft has posted KB968484 on this issue, but with no real resolution. Update 2: Microsoft has posted the April 2009 cumulative update (KB968857) for SharePoint (this fix is after SP2) which resolves this issue. When you receive an Alert from SharePoint in Outlook 2007 (this post is as of SP1), you have the option of connecting to the List or Document Library in the Ribbon: This feature is broken, according to Microsoft Product Support
Continue Reading →

SharePoint … Here and Back Again

Yes, Here and Back Again.  This blog will be all things SharePoint related, from tips and tricks, to administration, to errors, and some solutions bourne out of Microsoft Product Support Services. I hope you enjoy!
Continue Reading →